Friday 22 July 2016

Mission Inspiration - July

I haven't been art journalling long. I discovered it through attending workshops at what was Kraftyhands (now ceased trading) with Ian and Mike.

Mike has a fantastic YouTube channel (If you haven't checked it out yet you should pop over.) and is the founder of the the Mission Inspiration Facebook page. Each month a set of instructions for creating an Art Journal page is given so I decided to try my hand at July's mission.

Step 1: Apply a base page colour with a baby wipe



I chose to use DoCrafts Artiste paints in Metallic Silver and Metallic Bronze. Most of my pages so far have been quite bright so I thought I would step out of my comfort zone by using something more neutral.

Step 2: Glue tissue or napkin fragments



I knew what quote and image I wanted to use so I went for screwed up white tissue paper to try and simulate clouds.

Step 3: Add a thin layer of white gesso or paint.



I used white gesso watered down just a little.

Step 4: Add texture pastethrough a stencil
Step 5: Addtwo contrasting colours



I used a Sheena Douglas stencil to add more clouds with the texture paste. And then I'm not sure what came over me but I was obviously feeling there was not enough colour so bam! Out come the Dylusions paints, in this case it was London Blue and Squeezed Orange put through the Stampin' Up! Hearts and Stars mask. At this pointI hadnoideawhat I was doing. My face looked something like this:



Why,oh why did I have to throw down those stars. I though about tearing it up and starting again... But I persevered.

Step 6: Adhere textbook fragments



As the them is a song lyric for the quote I went with music paper. Phew,some of the stars have gone! But I thought a layer of watered down white gesso would calm things down a bit more.



Much better!

Step 7: Stamp image or patterns
Step 8: Add focal image or shape



I have a lot of stamps that haven't even made it out of their packages yet so part of my reason for choosing this song lyric is I knew I had something to create a focal image. I'm not sure which set the swirls are from as the packaging wasn't with them (ebay purchase?!) but they went on with Versafine Onyx Black and Encore Metallic in Gold.

The focal images are from Gorjuss by Santoro London - The Owl and Flying Above it All (I think this one might be discontinued?) coloured using Inktense pencils.

Step 9: Add handwritten song lyric quote



I chose a line from Defying Gravity from Wicked. Love the musical and this song always gves me goosebumps!

Step 10: Add a border of your choice.

The swirly stamps already added a border to this page so I went with a dab of distress ink around the edge. Here is the final design!


I don't feel it's my best page by far but I am proud of it as it was the first page I did on my own without Mike and the fabulous ladies who attend the Art Journal Workshops.

I am looking forward to next month's Mission Inspiration prompt and who knows, I might step back in time and try some of the previous months!

I have entered this page in to the following challenges:
Creative Loops - Star and/or Stripes
Paradise of Stamps - Anything goes
The Sisters of Craft - Anything goes
Country View Challenges - Have fun with circles

Stay crafty,

Katie x


6 comments:

  1. Lovely project, thanks for sharing with Sisters of Craft and good luck. Wendy DT x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy.I love taking part. It really helps with the inspiration!

      Delete
  2. Lovely project ! Thanks for for joining us over at Country View Challenges !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you enjoying art journalling Katie...be warned it's very addictive..lol. This is such a sweet circular page and perfect for our have fun with circles challenge over at Country View. Thanks for joining in with the fun x
    Jane DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow, wow! So great that you persevered with this- the muted look of the paper over the stars is perfect. Wonderful colouring- I do love inktense pencils.
    Thanks for joining in with the Creative Loops Challenge at www.achelois.co. The challenge for August will be Summertime so please check out the post on Monday for lots of inspiration. Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at More Mixed Media. Hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete